$159.95 – $199.95
Walkin’ vertebraVe | Dog Back Brace
The Walkin’ vertebraVe® is THE back support system for pets. Combining support and comfort in a brace designed specifically for those pets suffering from arthritis or back injuries. Give your pet the back support they need with the patented two-tier support layer that optimizes stabilization needed for the spine and surrounding muscles. Allowing for all-day comfortable wear for pets of all sizes and shapes makes the vetebraVe the best harness for dogs with IVDD.
Ideal for pets with the following conditions: Intervertebral Disc Disease (IVDD), Back Pain, Arthritis, post-surgical recovery, and rehabilitation
- The Back Support Pets Need: Stabilize and support a dog’s spine and relieve pressure to help alleviate canine back pain.
- Custom Fit for Every Sized Dog: Designed to fit every size dog, the medical-grade materials conform to a pet’s back for a custom-molded fit.
- Adjustable Back Support: Adjust your pet’s level of support as they heal. Each dog back brace features three metal support spines to stabilize the back. Remove spines for more mild support and increased range of motion as the spine heals.
- Keep Pets Comfortable and Mobile: Breathable mesh panels keep pets cool and comfy all-day wear.
Designed in the USA by Renee Mills, VT, CCRP
Issue Date: 03/17/2020
BACK SUPPORT WHERE YOUR PET NEEDS IT
Durable and lightweight, the vertebraVe supports your dogs injured back with strategically placed dual support layers, exactly where they need it – across the spine and the muscles lining the spine.
KEEPS PETS MOBILE & COMFORTABLE
Alleviate your pet’s back pain while supporting their back as it heals. The back brace’s memory foam interior conforms to the spine for a custom fit, and stretchy mesh sides are breathable for a comfortable all-day wear.
GREAT FOR POST-OP RECOVERY
The vertebraVe’s three metal support spines provide maximum support and can be removed to increase range of motion & to adjust the level of support as pets heal.
How to Choose the Right Size
To determine the best size vertebraVe® for your pet, please measure your dog in a natural standing position and measure their Topline measurement. The Topline measures the length of your pet’s back from the Point of Shoulders to the Top of Pelvis.
Once you’ve measured, reference our chart below. Find the measurement and weight range that best matches your pet. Remember your pet’s exact measurement may not be an exact match to the chart.
|XSmall||6-9″||10 – 15 lbs.|
|Small||9″-11″||15 – 25 lbs|
|Medium||11″-13″||25 – 50 lbs.|
|Large||13″-15″||50 – 80 lbs.|
|XLarge||15″ or greater||80 lbs. and greater|
* Dachshunds Topline 9″-13″ fit size Small
* Corgis Topline 11″-16″ fit size Medium
Please contact us at 1-888-253-0777 if you need help to determine the right size.
Is This Right for Your Pet?
The Walkin’ vertebraVe® Helps Pets of All Sizes
The vertebraVe® helps dogs of all sizes, from dachshunds with IVDD, corgis with a bad back, to larger dogs like Great Pyrenees dealing with spinal arthritis. This dog back support is designed to decrease back pain and promote mobility while keeping your pet comfortable and active. The vertebraVe® will not help pets that are unable to stand on their own or bear any weight on their hind legs. These dogs may need the additional support of a dog wheelchair. Dog back braces are not intended to cure spinal injuries, IVDD, or other disc diseases. But they can help provide comfort by relieving dog back pain and protect the spine while your dog is in IVDD recovery. The vertebraVe® is not intended to replace crate rest as prescribed by your Veterinarian. We encourage you to talk with your veterinarian about your pet’s health and work together to determine the best treatment plan for your pet.
To learn more about IVDD, read “IVDD in Dogs: Causes to Prevention.”
What to Expect:
It’s important to remember that it may take some time for your dog to adjust to wearing their new back brace. A dog may not know how to move when they first wear the brace and it’s very normal for a dog to sit still until they get used to it. To help them adjust, we recommend giving them time to get used to it. Start with wearing the brace for 30 minutes, followed by 20 minutes off. Make wearing the back brace a positive experience by rewarding them with treats and a lot of praise. Increase the amount of time in the brace with each session, until your pet is completely comfortable.
To learn more about canine Back Braces, read “Back Braces for Dogs.”
For Best Results:
To promote healing and see visible changes in your dog’s movement, wearing the vertebraVe® is only one piece of your dog’s treatment plan. If your pet is suffering from any conditions affecting the spine which cause pain or change in mobility, working with your Veterinarian on a multi-step treatment plan will always have the best outcome. Your Veterinarian may recommend joint supplements, pain management plan, structured exercise or even seeing a Canine Rehabilitation Therapist. Using a dog back support harness promotes continued comfortable mobility when combined with the items listed above will give your pet the best outcome. Discuss what plan works best for your pet with your Veterinary Professional today.
Assembly & Usage Instructions
How to Put the vertebraVe® on Your Pet
The vertebraVe® support system consists of three parts. The chest harness, main back support, and the lumbar support piece. The back support system comes with the chest harness already attached to the main support piece.
Remember, the first time you place the vertebraVe® on your pet there will be a fitting process to make sure it fits properly, once adjusted it’s an easy on and off application.
- Undo the touch fasteners on the back support mesh side panels and unclip chest piece side clips. Slide the chest harness piece, while connected to the main back support, over your pet’s head. This will get the chest harness piece and main back support in place to adjust.
- Wrap the mesh side panels underneath your pet’s belly and fasten snugly using touch fasteners.
- Attach both side clips on the chest harness piece by snapping into each side of the main back support piece.
- Tighten the straps connected into the main back support piece to securely fit your pet.
- Tighten all straps on the chest harness piece to hug your pet tightly. The chest piece should be centered on your pet’s chest.
- The last step is the lumbar support piece. This piece will snap into each side of the main back support piece at the back of the brace. Make sure to place the soft side of the piece against your pet’s belly. Then tighten each strap for a snug fit. Lumbar support is optional. Use lumbar support to better secure the back of the brace or use for high lumbar pain or spinal injury.
* For male pets, make sure the lumbar support piece is tucked underneath the penis to allow them to go potty freely.
* Once all adjustments have been made, and the brace is correctly fitted for your pet, excess webbing straps may be trimmed, and edges sealed using a lighter if necessary.
To remove the brace:
- Unhook lumbar support piece if using
- Unhook the two chest harness straps where they connect to the main back support piece.
- Undo the mesh side panels.
- Slide over your pet’s head.
Spot clean vertebraVe® with clean cloth or sponge. Lay flat to let air dry. Machine washing is not recommended and may affect the stability of the product. To remove hair from touch fasteners on mesh side panels, we recommend using a lint roller.
Frequently Asked Questions
The vertebraVe®‘s patented three-piece support system is designed to support the spine and surrounding epitaxial muscles to alleviate pressure on the back injury, while still allowing your pet to run, sit and go to the bathroom. The dual-layered, patented design offers support and conforms to your pet’s back for the best possible support system. Preventing your pet from over flexing or extending their back when the support is on. Protecting areas which are affected by injury or disease. You can adjust the straps on all pieces to get a snug fit. The optional Lumbar Support piece may be used to get a snugger fit and offer more support to the lower back.
To learn more about canine Back Braces, read “Back Braces for Dogs.”
Every pet is different. Some pets may benefit from wearing it all day or some pets may just need it for walks and activities. The breathable medical grade materials allow for extended wear, although we recommend taking it off while your pet sleeps.
Hand wash vertebraVe® with clean cloth or sponge. Lay flat to let air dry. Machine washing not recommended and may affect the stability of the product. To remove hair from touch fasteners on side panel, we recommend using a lint roller.
Absolutely! Each vertebraVe® features a D-Ring on top of the back brace for you to clip a leash to. So when going for your daily walk the brace acts as a harness. Just attach the leash to the ring and enjoy a safe supported walk.
Yes. The vertebraVe® is designed so that your pet can still pee and poop while wearing the support system. It should not interfere with your pet’s ability to do their business at all! For male pets wearing the lumbar support, make sure it is tucked under the penis to allow him to go potty freely.
The lumbar support is optional and does not have to be worn. The lumbar support should be worn by pets diagnosed with lower back injuries. Along with supporting a pet’s lumbar, the support also helps secure the back of the brace tighter.
Yes, the metal support spines can be removed! However, before you remove them we recommend speaking with your pet care professional first. The metal rods are designed to limit hyperflexion and hyperextension of the spine, as your pet heals, and you don’t want to remove them too soon. By removing the supports you can increase a dog’s range of motion as they heal or when lighter support is needed.
Yes. The vertebraVe® was specifically designed to fill the gap in the market for larger dogs. The vertebraVe® is the only back brace available to fit every size dog.
Customer Photos & Videos
Walkin’ vertebraVe pet photos, sent in by happy customers!
Watch these videos of pets enjoying their Walkin’ vertebraVe!