Walkin’ Hip-EEZ – Instructional Video
The Walkin’ Hip-EEZ Cross-Assist attachment is designed to be added to the Hip-EEZ Hip Support System. The Cross-Assist attachment may be adjusted to fit the width of your pet’s legs and is a training tool for those pets who cross their hind legs. The Cross-Assist moves with your pet while keeping the hind legs apart at the same time, retraining your dog to walk correctly.
- AIDE in teaching pets how to walk correctly
- Help build strength in pets’ hind legs.
- Designed to sit high up between the pet’s thighs and attach to the outside of Walkin’ Hip-EEZ hip support system
How it Works:
The Hip-EEZ Cross-Assist attachment has button closures on each end which allow you to adjust the length. A cylinder-shaped foam piece is inside a neoprene pocket and may be cut down to fit the width of your pet’s inner thigh. Place Cross-Assist high up between your dog’s thighs and attach to Hip-EEZ system.
Ideal for Pets:
- Recovering from Spinal Surgery
- Spinal Cord Strokes
- Beginning to moderate stages of Degenerative Myelopathy and other disease processes.
Designed in the USA by Renee Mills, VT, CCRP (patent pending).
*Consult your Veterinarian or Veterinary Rehabilitation Professional before use.
We advise that you work closely with your Veterinary professional to offer specific ways to best use the Cross-Assist based on your pet’s individual needs.
The Walkin’ Hip-EEZ Cross-Assist attachment comes in three sizes. Cross-Assist sizes correlate with the Hip-EEZ Full Support system you ordered. Please reference our sizing guide below to select the size for your pet. If you’re having trouble deciding on a size please contact one of our customer service reps for assistance at 1-888-253-0777.
|Hip-EEZ System Size
||Hip-EEZ Cross-Assist Size Needed
||Width from Inner Right Thigh to Left Thigh Cross-Assist will Fit
||2 to 4″
||4 to 6.5″
||6.5″ and greater
||6.5″ and greater
- Measure the width between your pet’s inner thighs. Take this measurement number and subtract ½”. This number is the length that the cylinder foam insert should be cut too.
- Cut foam cylinder insert to desired length. Take black neoprene pouch and unbutton stretchy straps on both ends. Open buttons on front of pouch and insert cylinder into middle of pouch.
- Secure center button on front of pouch. Then hold both ends of pouch over circle ends and compress fabric on each end towards cylinder. This should appear to fold the fabric in an accordion fashion on either end of cylinder.
- Button stretchy straps on either end to buttons on each side based on the width needed. All fabric should be tucked in and all buttons now secured.
- Test fit that the Cross-Assist fits high up in between your pet’s inner thighs. If further adjustments need to be made now is the time. The Cross-Assist should fit directly between your pet’s thighs with about 1/4″ to 1/2″ of space between cylinder pouch and skin. If the fit seems good then move on to step six.
- Place the Hip-EEZ Full Support system on your pet. Once placed, with the buttons facing down, put the Cross-Assist up between thighs of your pet. Use one hand to keep Cross-Assist in place while one by one securing touch fastener straps on each end to the outside of Hip-EEZ panel. It’s best to wrap leg straps around outside of leg in an upward V motion to secure.
- Once both sides of Cross-Assist are secured to the outside of the Hip-EEZ Full Support system, you’re ready to try it out. Remember, this is something new and will take time for your pet to get used to. If their reluctant to walk, try using some treats as bribery. If your pet falls with the Cross- Assist on, gently help them up and try again. Slow and steady walking is KEY when using the Cross-Assist attachment.
The Walkin’ Hip-EEZ Cross-Assist attachment is specially designed as a training tool for those patients who are crossing their hind legs. Of course, hind end weakness and hind leg crossing are two peas in a pod, so the Cross-Assist is light weight. Think of it as the opposite of hobbles. You can use it during land treadmill work, walks, balance and strengthening exercises. You can even use it in the underwater treadmill. Just give it plenty of time to dry out.
Over the years I’ve personally struggled when trying to pattern a large dog’s hind legs, while keeping them apart at the same time. I tried all kinds of methods from rolled towels to therapy stands with pet’s legs gently secured apart. Nothing stayed in place. So, I designed the Hip-EEZ Cross-Assist for professionals and easy enough for pet owners to use on walks at home.
As with any new product, continuing to collect data and feedback from professionals is key. Working together as a Veterinary community to create, provide and improve products which aid in healing our patients is important. I can only hope these products are able to help your patients as well. Please reach out to us and share your thoughts and help us continue to collect more case studies on using the Hip-EEZ Cross-Assist attachment with the Hip-EEZ Full Support system. We want your help in making sure our products meet the needs and approval of our fellow pet lovers.
– Renee Mills, CCRP, Inventor of the Hip-EEZ, and No-Knuckling Training Socks
Remove foam cylinder for cleaning. The foam cylinder is spot clean only with a damp cloth using mild detergent. Rinse well and lay flat to air dry. Button and secure all Velcro straps to themselves before washing. Machine wash on a delicate cycle without the foam. Low or no heat to dry. To remove hair from foam and touch fasteners, we recommend using a lint roller.
How does it work?
The Hip-EEZ Cross-Assist provides a barrier between your pet’s inner thighs that sets the tone for the rest of the legs. Thus encouraging your pet not to cross their hind legs.
How long can my pet where it?
The Hip-EEZ Cross-Assist should be worn only for walks or as directed by your Veterinary professional. Remove when done.
How do I care for it?
Remove foam cylinder for cleaning. The foam cylinder is spot clean only with a damp cloth using mild detergent. Rinse well and lay flat to air dry. Button and secure all Velcro straps to themselves before washing. Machine wash on a delicate cycle without the foam. Low or no heat to dry. To remove hair from foam and Velcro, we recommend using a lint roller.
Can my pet go to the bathroom with the Cross-Assist on?
The Hip-EEZ Cross-Assist does sit up high between your pet’s thighs. Physically they should be able to urinate and defecate while wearing the Cross-Assist attachment. However, it may feel awkward for your pet, so we advise taking a potty walk BEFORE using the Cross-Assist just in case.