It doesn’t matter how much you enjoy a good craft beer or chocolate. It’s important that you keep human food and drink that you may love away from your dogs, no matter how much they beg. You won’t be doing them a favor. As a matter of fact, you’ll end up poisoning them. To keep your animals healthy and happy, avoid the toxic foods for pets listed below!
Several types of chocolate contain caffeine, fat and methylxanthines (found in cardiac stimulants, muscle relaxants, and diuretics, particularly dark chocolate. In most cases, the darker the chocolate, (such as baker’s chocolate), the more toxic it will be.
Signs of chocolate poisoning in dogs include increased urination, diarrhea, vomiting, seizures, tremors, hyperactivity, and heart arrhythmias.
Besides chocolate, other caffeine-rich items to keep away from your pets include diet pills, energy drinks, tea, coffee, or anything else that contains caffeine. Caffeine can have a hazardous effect on a pet’s nervous system, intestines, stomach, and heart.
Symptoms of caffeine poisoning include hyperactivity; restlessness; dramatically increased panting; increased blood pressure, heart rate, and urination; and muscle spasms and seizures.
Intoxication can lead to coma and death in pets. Alcohol is quickly absorbed into the bloodstream, affecting dogs almost immediately. Consumption of alcohol can potentially cause hazardous drops in blood pressure, blood sugar, and body temperature, also causing dogs to experience respiratory failure and seizures. Even dough that contains yeast, as well as desserts that contain alcohol, can cause these hazardous health issues.
High Fat Foods
Edibles that are high in fat can cause diarrhea and vomiting in pets and may lead to pancreatitis in dogs. It’s crucial to avoid giving your dogs fast foods, foods cooked using grease, or any other kind of junk food. Some breeds, including Yorkshire Terriers, Shetland Sheepdogs, and miniature Schnauzers are known to be more susceptible to an attack of pancreatitis than others.
This is a sugar substitute widely used in sugarless gum, mouthwash, toothpastes, chewable multi-vitamins for children, and some candies and baked goods. Xylitol is sometimes recommended for people who are diabetic or who are on a low carb diet.
What many people don’t know is that xylitol is incredibly dangerous for dogs. Ingesting xylitol causes the accelerated release of insulin in canines, which results in hypoglycemia. Hypoglycemia leads to weakness, vomiting, and in many cases, seizures, which can lead to liver failure. Just one stick of gum containing xylitol can cause toxicity in a 20-pound dog.
Make sure your dog makes it to his/her next birthday! Be vigilant about what foods to keep away! Go HERE for more information about toxic foods for pets.
For a complete list of foods that are toxic for pets, consult with your veterinarian or the ASPCA. For a comprehensive list containing not only foods, but poisonous plants as well, go HERE.
Did we answer all your questions on "toxic foods"?