XYLITOL, found in candy and gum, is POISON for dogs.
– Do you chew gum?
– Do you have candy in the house?
Gum, candy, and many other common consumer products contain xylitol – an all-natural sugar substitute.
While xylitol is very safe for humans, it can be deadly for dogs.
Just two or three sticks of xylitol gum could be toxic to a 20-pound dog.
Clinical veterinary findings show that xylitol can cause hypoglycemia in dogs, which may be severe.
Clinical signs of xylitol toxicity may develop just 30 minutes after ingestion.
Signs may include:
· ataxia (uncoordinated movements)
Liver dysfunction and/or failure may also occur.
In cases of xylitol ingestion, a veterinarian should be contacted immediately.
The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (888) 426-4435 has excellent information in cases of xylitol ingestion and is open 24 hours a day; they may charge a $60 consultation fee.
Read more about xylitol at: http://www.aspca.org/site/DocServer/vetm0207f_095-100_.pdf?docID=10462
Dog caretakers are advised to look for xylitol in the fine print ingredient list of consumer products and to take extra care that their dogs can not get into these products.